Saturday, October 29, 2011

Switching Weapons (or methods of attack)

This evening, I spent some time reworking my weapon system. Now, the player may have an alternate weapon. (or method of attack. It feels weird to me to call a Unicorn Horn or Hooves weapons, though it's easier to think of them as such in terms of game design,)

The player can switch weapons at any time during combat with the current system, though that may change later on. The weapons and all their stats, such as dice type and amount to roll, are currently stored in the Player Object*, though I want to move them to the Inventory Object* eventually. I'll discuss the inventory in detail later.

Here's a shot of it in action:














Until next time!
The Code Pony

*The C++ language is object-oriented, which means the programmer has the ability to define what are known as classes, and then declare objects of an established class. An easy way to think about it would be to consider a "drink" class. Both "water" and "tea" are objects of the "drink" class. Within the "drink" class, there are internal variables such as "color" and "taste". "Water" and "tea" may hold different values for "color" and "taste", but ultimately they shall remain "drinks".

3 comments:

  1. Just found your dev blog, and I'm interested to see where you take this. I'm very new to programming myself, and I find something like this fascinating.
    I have not heard of the d20 system, though I have played a little D&D with friends. Are you planning on keeping the entire game system visibly dice-based? (Showing the hooves will cause 1d20 damage, for example.) Most games tend to keep that part of the game out of the picture. I'm not saying it's wrong, just unorthodox.
    I'm interested to see where this takes you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite right about showing the dice as unorthodox; I feel similarly regarding most games. Most of the dice rolls are hidden, such as the randomization for the enemy encounters, flavor text, and hit-or-miss calculations. However, I wanted the player (as well as myself, for testing purposes) to be able to clearly see what damage they could possibly inflict with a given weapon. This is all essentially just a big proof-of-concept though, even now, so naturally the interface is subject to change.
    I hope you enjoy watching my trials and tribulations, as a fellow programmer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. C++ =D I love this kind of games.

    I'd love to see it finished, it's getting better every time.

    ReplyDelete